Last Saturday Thapelo Makutle was found with his throat cut in the room he rented in Kuruman, a town in north-west South Africa.
Thapelo was a talented, well-loved member of his community, an activist who gave his free time to help Legbo Northern Cape, a regional LGBT organization, campaign for the rights of LGBT people.
Jabu Pereira, the spokeswoman for gay rights group LEGBO Northern Cape, said yesterday that the perpetrators did not steal from Mr Makutle and his body was mutilated in a way that indicates it was a hate crime, an extra charge that leads to greater punishment. Mr Makutle’s genitals were cut off and put in his mouth, witnesses said.
Reports indicate that two men followed him home on the 9th June early in the morning after he left a night club and attacked him, killing him and mutilating his body. No suspects have been arrested.
Articles and links:
- Legbo Northern Cape
- IOL News (13 06 12) Staff Writer Miss Gay Kuruman beheaded
- The Australian Eye (13 06 12) Gary Dunn Gay South African Man Slain in Apparent Hate Crime
- AllAfrica.com (13 06 12) Democratic Alliance (DA) South Africa: Hate Crimes continue, but President Zuma Remains Silent
- International Business Times (14 06 12) Anissa Haddadi South Africa: Thapelo Makutle Killed and Mutilated in Brutal “Homophobic Hate Crime”
- IoL news (14 06 12) Sandi Kwon Hoo Genitals “stuffed in his mouth”
- Digitaljournal.com (14 06 12) Anne Sewell Gay rights activist killed in South Africa
- news.scotsman.com (Fri 15 06 12) Gay Man killed in Hate Crime
- human rights first (15 06 12) Christopher Plummer – Murder in South Africa Highlights Need for Better Enforcement of Hate Crime Laws