Saturday 10th June between 2pm to 3pm in Goldington Road (Bedford), disabled grandmother Sandra was spat at and mocked by a laughing gang of youths whilst returning home from her husband’s grave.
Police are appealing for witnesses and treating this as a hate crime, so far no arrests have been made.
The youths, thought to be between 16-19 and made up of both white and Asian males, had stopped the pensioner crossing the road when they had held the back of her chair to stop her moving and began taunting her about her disability saying she “didn’t belong in this world” and “where were you born?” As if that wasn’t evil enough the mob then took turns to spit at her.
PC Sarah Lelden is leading the investigation and can be contacted on 101 or text the control room on 07786200011.
- Bedfordshire News (25/06/12) – Crime scene visit hopes to jog witnesses’ minds
- Bedford Midweek (14/06/12) – Disabled Sandra forgives mob for spitting attack
- Disability Hate Crime Network – Facebook page
- Bedfordshire Police – homepage
- Bedfordshire Police – How to report Hate Crime
- Stop Hate UK – homepage