Charlie Rogers speaks out about Hate Crime attack
Watch video of Charlie speaking out here on Youtube
Sickening news reports are coming in about a horrific attack on Saturday night (21st July 2012) on Charlie Rogers – a Lesbian woman, 33, living in Lincoln, Nebraska who was attacked by three masked me who broke into her home, stripped and bound her, then carved the word Dyke and other homophobic slurs carved into her body as well as spraying them on the walls throughout her home which they then set on fire.
After the attackers left Charlie Rogers managed to raise the alarm by walking naked and bleeding to her neighbour’s house. Katie Flood, a spokeswoman for the Lincoln Police Department said that they are investigating as the woman was treated in hospital for the cuts on her stomach and arms.
On Sunday over 500 people held a vigil to show their outrage at the attack and support for the victim.
The attack fuels the debate over the city’s fairness amendment, a proposal to ban discrimination in housing and employment based upon a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity. The city council approved the measure in May but opponents have blocked the move, delaying it until an as-yet public vote takes place.
- Lincoln City Council
- Lincoln Police Department
- Outlinc gay rights support group – join them on Facebook
- JournalStar.com (23 08 2012) Cindy Lange-Kubick – Making peace after a hate crime turns alleged
- Pink Paper (30 07 2012) Harriet Evans – Lesbian tortured in Nebraska ‘hate crime’ reveals identity to challenge doubters
- Mail Online (24 07 2012) Louise Boyle – Lesbian woman, 33 tied up and stripped naked by masked home invaders who carved words into her BODY and daubed hate slogans on the walls of her home
- Gather (24 07 2012) Chelsea Hoffman – A Hate Crime in Nebraska: Attackers carved slurs into Woman’s Body
- NYDailyNews (24 07 2012) Erik Ortiz – Gay Nebraska woman tied up, mutilated in hate crime assault, police say
- Queerty (24 07 2012) Dan Avery – No Suspects yet in horrific hate-crime attach against Nebraska Lesbian.
- NBCNEWS (24 07 2012) Andrew Mach – Alleged torture of woman roils Nebraska Capital
- CBSNews (24 07 2012) Nebraksa woman tied up, mutilated, in anti-gay hate crime, police say
- Towleroad (24 07 2012) Police have no suspects in horrific anti-gay hate crime against Lincoln, Nebraska woman.
- KLNTV (23 07 2012) Police classify attack of woman as a hate crime (includes video clip of news report)